April 13, 2023
To all TFA members,
On Tuesday, we advised you that CUPE 233, representing custodians, groundskeepers and maintenance workers at TMU, would be in legal strike position as of April 13th.
Following a failed mediation session at the Ministry of Labour yesterday, the union began a work-to-rule starting today (Thursday).
CUPE has advised the employer that if no agreement has been reached by Sunday evening at 10.30 pm a full scale strike action will begin The CUPE bargaining team has told the Administration that it is available to resume negotiations at any time if the employer is prepared to bring a new proposal.
CUPE 233 members are one of the lowest paid employee groups on the TMU campus and have been in negotiations with the university for months for decent pay and pension equity.
The TFA stands in strong solidarity with our colleagues in CUPE 233. We support their efforts to assert the same rights as TFA members in negotiating their pension contributions. They have not been swayed by the inaccurate characterisations and disinformation regarding our Pension Plan that have been circulated by our Administration. You can read more about the pension dispute at TMU in the attached bulletin which was shared with you last week. We support CUPE 233’s fight for fair wages and an equitable pension plan at TMU and stand with them at every step.
In the days ahead, we encourage all TFA members to support our CUPE colleagues. You can show your support by:
• Signing a letter to the TMU President
• Talking to your colleagues and students about the CUPE 233 job action and the issues at the bargaining table
• Refusing to take on the work of CUPE 233 members, such as removing garbage or cleaning spaces;
• Should you notice that there are elements of your working environment, such as heating, cleanliness and building conditions, that are not being maintained or in disrepair, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call it in to Fixit at 416 979-5091 direct to help desk or dial in from TMU ext. 555091 in order that the administration is made aware of what needs to be done, and also so that there is a general appreciation of the work performed by CUPE 233 union members.
• Joining and supporting picket lines in the event of a strike as of Monday, April 17th
On this website you can also find the information and FAQ on your rights and responsibilities in the event of a strike on campus which was shared on April 11th. Should you have any additional questions, please contact the TFA office.
The TFA will continue to keep you informed and ensure that we remain supportive of our colleagues by calling on the university administration to bargain a fair contract.